Montessori schools are unique in that they encourage students to learn at their own pace, as opposed to the group learning method found in traditional schools. This method was developed by Dr. Maria Montessori in Rome, Italy. In 1911, Dr. Montessori brought her unique method of teaching to the United States. Now, they are approximately 5,000 Montessori schools across America, according to the Montessori website. To qualify for a position in a Montessori school, you must be certified in this particular method of teaching. The question is, where do you go to receive this training?
The five best online Montessori teacher training programs are as follows:
- Montessori Live
- The Center for Guided Montessori Studies
- North American Montessori Center
- International Online Montessori Training Institute
- The Montessori Notebook
In this article, we are going to take a look at five of the top online Montessori teacher training programs, examine their similarities, and the standout features that make each of these online programs unique. That way, you can make an informed decision.
Like many other programs in this article, Montessori Live can help you to learn your Montessori teaching certification online. They specialize in early childhood in elementary school certifications, you may also opt for their professional development and leadership programs. This is one of the many things that sets Montessori Live apart from other online Montessori teaching certification programs. You may also take subject-based modules, which include Mathematics, English, and astronomy.
The following are some of the many benefits you will gain from becoming a certified Montessori teacher through the Montessori Live teaching program:
- Obtain an understanding of how the Montessori philosophy blends with traditional educational
- Become fluent in teaching subjects such as phonics, spelling, mathematics, and whole numbers.
- Develop an understanding of how to work with children with different abilities.
- A better comprehension of subjects that include childhood development, observation, and children’s expression styles.
Keeping with the primary theme of Montessori learning, this course is self-paced. If you are interested in becoming a certified Montessori teacher through Montessori Live, you can sign up here.
Are Daycare Workers Teachers? Learn more here.
The key feature that differentiates the Center for Guided Montessori Studies apart from other online Montessori teacher training programs is that this program trains you based on the age group of children you wish to teach. There are several different programs available, which offer to teach for infants, young children (3-6 years), elementary school children, and adolescent children. You may also choose to take courses in leadership, Spanish, and professional development.
Some of the many benefits of getting your Montessori teacher certification from The Center For Guided Montessori Studies are:
- You have the option to choose between Full Certificate or Associate Certificate programs.
- If you prefer supervised learning, they offer residential training as well as online training.
- This Montessori teaching program offers excellent support, implementing forums in their modules to encourage discussion.
- There are subscription plans available, which enable you to choose specific areas in which you choose to study.
- There are programs available that encourage you to work with children that have special needs.
The total length of this program varies, depending on you. If you want to learn more about The Center for Guided Montessori Studies, or if you want to sign up, click here.
The North American Montessori Center specializes in certified Montessori teaching programs that educate infants, early childhood, lower elementary school, and upper elementary school. The key feature that sets this Montessori teaching program apart from many others is that the program is entirely remote. The North American Montessori Center also stresses the five basic principles of Montessori learning, which are:
- Respect for the Child.
- The Absorbent Mind
- Sensitive Periods
- The Prepared Environment
- Auto education
Some of the benefits of receiving your online Montessori teaching certification from this program include:
- You will receive checklists, curriculum support, and curriculum manuals that will guide you through the process of being Montessori certified.
- You can choose between a one-time payment, or pay in three installments to make your tuition more affordable.
- Once you fill out a curriculum and resources order form, all of your study materials will be mailed to your doorstep.
- The North American Montessori Center has plenty of online resources for you to access that will enhance your educational experience.
The length of this program will vary, depending entirely on you. If you are interested in looking into this program, or if you have decided to sign up, you can do so here.
This online learning Institution is another that has the distinction of separating their diploma programs according to the children’s age. There are programs available for early childhood diploma programs for children between three to six years of age. This program also provides manuals and a curriculum for those who are pursuing their Montessori teaching certification. However, there is a catch. The program is not entirely based online.
Students must attend a mandatory 20-Day Montessori Practical Workshop. Upon completion of the program, students of the International Online Montessori Training Institute will receive the Montitute International Montessori Diploma for Kindergarten/ Early Childhood Education. Some of the benefits of getting you are Montessori teaching certification from this institution are:
- Your study materials are mailed directly to you.
- Gain a working knowledge of phases of development in children, sensitive periods in children, and how to prepare a child’s environment.
- Tuition for this program includes one year of tutoring if needed.
- This program places a strong emphasis on childhood development and sensitive periods of children.
Unlike most of the programs on this list, this program has a set period of 12 months. You can sign up for the program for organic additional information about it here.
This online educational institution is unique because of the varied curriculum it offers. The Montessori Notebook offers 4-week, self-paced, and 2-week courses to students. It also specializes in programs such as setting up a Montessori classroom or a Montessori playgroup. This encourages children to learn through play, which is a direct contradiction to traditional schooling. The Montessori Notebook also reinforces concepts like positive approaches to raising children and early childhood development. They also place a strong emphasis on learning how to properly communicate with children to get them to complete a task.
Some of the unique concepts at The Montessori Notebook reinforces include:
- Learning how to utilize the spare space in your home to make it child-friendly.
- Using both textbooks and video lectures to positively reinforce the many aspects of learning.
- Paid tuition includes a lifetime membership that provides you with access to the learning materials in each module.
- An opportunity to clarify any misunderstandings you may have with the materials through question and answer sessions.
- Having a more in-depth concept of sibling rivalries, and also preparing children for a new member of the family.
This is another program in which the completion time depends on you. It may also vary depending on the number of topics you wish to study. For further information, visit this website.
In conclusion, you have many options available if you want to take online courses to become a certified Montessori teacher. Each of these programs has an aspect that makes it unique from all of the others. Some of them have a set time to complete the curriculum, While others let you decide how long you want to take to become a Montessori certified teacher. Some of these programs allow you to have payment plans, while others will require you to pay your tuition up front.
While many of these programs will allow you to complete the curriculum entirely online, some of them require you to receive part of your education in person. No matter which program you choose, you will be well on your way to becoming a certified Montessori teacher. You will have the satisfaction of knowing that you will be capable of educating and molding young minds, preparing them for a brighter tomorrow.
How much does it cost to send a child to a Montessori school? There are several factors that go into determining how much a Montessori school will charge for tuition. According to Montessori For Today, a few of those factors include the age of your child; whether they are going for a half-day or a full day; the location of the school, and the type of school. Still, the average yearly tuition for a Montessori school is between $12,000 and $15,000 per year.
What are the requirements to buy into an existing Montessori franchise school? The difference between traditional schools and Montessori schools are plenty, but one that stands out amongst the others is the ability to buy into an existing Montessori school. However, there are strict requirements which must be met before you are allowed to invest. According to Franchise Gator, you must have $80,000 in liquid capital; a net worth of at least $300,000, and be prepared to pay a franchise fee anywhere between $186,950 and $268,900.
Please note: This blog post is for educational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. Please consult a legal expert to address your specific needs.
To learn more on how to start your own daycare checkout my startup course and documents here.